Tuesday, January 4, 2011

day four

I need to alter strategies a tiny bit. Because I realize that learning 8 words a day really means learning and trying to remember 40 words a day. Like, today, for instance, I started the word "otro".

"otro" - other. I wanted to learn some uses so I go to an online dictionary where there's a host of uses and in each use I have to learn more words. Just with "otro" alone I can get away with my 8 word requirement.

But it brings to mind another question: who is writing these dictionaries?

For instance, the first use of the word "otro" in one dictionary: "le pago, de otro modo , no lo haria", meaning, "I'm paying her, otherwise she wouldn't do it".

My question is: "do what?" What was the dictionary writer trying to get her to do (with money) before he gave up on her and got back to writing his dictionary. I can picture him late at night, working on the "O"s in the dictionary and he was like, "fuck it, I'm going to a hooker". He was the type of guy who loved the nuances of words. He lost track of everything else when sucked into the universe of Spanish subtleties. No girl would touch him. Thats why he had to pay someone. Otherwise....as the saying goes.

So now, "de otro modo" otherwise.

More on the dictionary writer: the next use:

"tengos otros planes" - I have other plans. He's too busy. Either he's working on his dictionary or he's screwing hookers. Don't make plans with him.

This gave me an excuse to conjugate "to have"
Tengo
Usted tiene
el tiene
tenemos
tienen (for "they have" - once again I skipped the plural "you". I sort of figure when I get to Argentina or Spain or Puerto Rico or wherever, I'm never going to use the plural "you". I'm going to look at each person, directly in the eye and say "you and you and you" tiene otros planes.)

So now I have otro, "to have", "planes", and sort of, "de otro modo"

Lets move on.

"El otro" - "the other one". Our dictionary writer didn't like his first pick. He pointed to the other girl. "el otro" (or would that be "ella otro". Comment help please?)

"Lo otro no importa" - the rest doesn't matter. So I've got "importa" here, for "matter". A more compassionate dictionary maker might have "Whats the matter?" which apparently is "que te pasa". if I type "que te importa" into google translate it comes with "you care". So I'm a bit lost on that one. I'll stick with "lo otro no importa" for today.

By the way, when i go back to my favorite dictionary writer and look for the first use of "importa" he has:

"Me importa de carajo" - "I don't give a damn" [updated: "me no importa UN carajo']

Another important one to learn.

5 comments:

  1. de otro modo means "otherwise" that is why "de otro modo no lo haria" "otherwise she would not do it"

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, and its "Me importa UN carajo"

    ReplyDelete
  3. 'de' o 'un'? - me importa un carajo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well, expressions can not be translated into given words, means:
    'lo otro no importa' or 'el resto no importa' that is closer in words to 'the rest doesn't matter' but no the physics matter, or 'materia' or 'material' same as materials or elements 'elementos'.

    'Me importa' is I care, 'no me importa' I don't care, '¿Qué te importa? what do yo you care?
    'no me importa un carajo' I couldn't care less.

    'Carajo' is a place where no sailor wants to be, the small basket at the top of the mast in an old Spaniard vessel.'lo mandó al carajo', he send him to the carajo...

    'Lo otro' 'El otro' or 'La otra' the other one, depending on the gender of the word. It, He or She.

    Google translate is useful only for specific words cause it gives you the synonyms, but on sentences loaded with expressions goes wrong all the time.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maybe someone you know from Argentina should tell you about "vos". De otro modo you'll sound like a payoso.

    :)

    ReplyDelete