1. -- pero (but) - apparently also appears in the "urban dictionary" as an occasional Spanglish word like, ""I think I liked her pero somebody tell me she ain't nothin but a mentirosa."
When I asked Claudia about “mentirosa” she thought I said “mende rosa” or “pink mind” and said that someone once called her that when referring to her as “flaky” although she says that’s not a common expression.
So now I have to look up "mentirosa" of course. Which means "liar".
2. --Todo (all). Yesterday, in reference to this blog, a friend of mine texted me “Suerte con todo” – Good luck with all. So I had a head start on today plus got the word “Suerte”
3. -- Lo (it). Claudia tells me to not learn “lo”. That its too difficult. Apparently it has many uses and appears all over the place. But its hard to figure out where to put it in the sentence. She says, “its fifth year Spanish but just be aware that its there.”
I’m not buying it. Apparently it can be used in some cases as “him”, in some cases as “it” and in some cases its used before an adjective to turn it into a noun. I’m going to stick with that third usage for today by learning a bunch of phrases its in and then calling it a day.
“Lo importante es” – the important thing is
“lo bueno es” – the good thing is
“lo mejor es”- the best thing is
“lo siento” – I’m sorry (“very important” says Claudia!, or “disculpa me”)
Its also apparently used in some expressions so I’ll try to remember some of those for today:
· a lo largo de, throughout
· a lo lejos, in the distance
· a lo loco, like crazy
· a lo mejor, probably
· lo saber todo, to know it all
· por lo general, generally
· por lo menos, at least
· por lo pronto, for now
· por lo tanto, as a result
por lo visto, apparently
So I figure I got my words for the day: “pero”, “mentirosa”, “mende”, “rosa”, “suerte”, “todo” , “lo” (but with some expressions. I still don’t feel I understand “lo” and may have to learn more expressions tomorrow).
Some more about "lo":
Some more about "lo":http://spanish.about.com/od/sentencestructure/a/lo.htm